Saturday, October 14, 2006

Dreaming of a tresspass from size 6 harem!

The trailer for the Campaign for Real Beauty reminded me of the the last paragraph in the book Scheherazade Goes West by Fatima Mernissi, the Moroccan Feminist. While travelling in Europe and America, promoting her book "Dreams of Trespass: Tales of a Harem Girlhood" she reaches the following conclusion:

"I thank you, Allah, for sparing me the tyranny of the 'size 6 harem'" I repeatedly said to myself while seated on the Paris-Casablanca flight, on my way back home at last. "I am so happy that the conservative male elite does not know about it. Imagine fundamentalists switching from the veil to forcing women to fit size 6."

How can you stage a credible political demonstration and shout in the streets that your human rights have been violated when you cannot find the right skirt?


I highly recommend her books, it is very informative and good read.

No comments: